July 5, 2011

The Race Is Long.

One year ago I ran a 30 minute 5k at the First Annual Firecracker 5k. This was a personal record for that distance. Even though my time was good, I noticed I was having a bit of a tough time with the very last leg of the run.  5 days later, I found out that Wilson was on his way! 

Here I am with my dear friend Ashley and her buddy Kasha after the 2010 Firecracker 5K.  


My how things change! The 2010 Firecracker 5K was my last race before Wilson's arrival. Yesterday I ran the 2011 Firecracker 5K as my first race post pregnancy.  Needles to say, I did not run it in 30 minutes.  I added nearly9 minutes to my time.  The first 2 miles went pretty smoothly, but the last 1.1 was one of the toughest I have ever run.  AS I neared the finish line I saw Ashley cheering me on and began to shake my head saying "I can't."   She jumped in next to me and shouted over my headphones "You're gonna do it! You're going to beat 40 minutes.  You said 45 so you're blowing  you goal out of the water!"  I was teary as I crossed the finish line, but she was right.  I did it!

I have a lot of work to do before I run my first half marathon in Savannah, GA on November 5th.  But with this first 3.1 miles out of the way, I am excited to start training.

It is all a little easier when this guy is out there rooting for you!





2 comments:

Jen said...

Way to go!! I found out I was pregnant with Anna a few days before I ran a half marathon and because I'd been training (and with my doctor's blessing) went ahead and ran it (but took it much slower) ... since then I haven't run once and can't wait to get back into it!

You will love running the half in Savannah, what a great goal to have in front of you to keep up the motivation!

Katie said...

I started to get choked up when I read about what Ash did for you. We need to plan to do a sister run together soon! I'm so proud of you :) Love you!